Skip to main content

Progress?

My son gave me a gift card for Amazon so I quickly ordered some books.  When the confirmation came through it said they would be delivered in October!  I emailed them to complain and the response was that I would receive a response in 24 hours.  Well that time frame came and went so I phoned.  The man who answered did not seem to understand that waiting until October was unacceptable and kept asking me if I wanted to cancel my order.    No!  I just wanted it delivered now.  After 20 minutes of this he said he would talk to his manager.  Ten minutes later he returned to say that I could cancel the order and re-order.  'Would that make a difference?' I asked.  He didn't know.  I asked to speak to his manager myself.  20 minutes went by before the manager came on the line.  'What seems to be the problem?' she asked.  Why do they always do that as though the member of staff hadn't told her what the problem was?  'Would you like to cancel the order?' she asked.  No!  I just want you to deliver it.  She said she didn't have any control of changing delivery dates but I could try cancelling and re-ordering.   Steam wasn't actually coming out of my ears when I calmly said, 'So you want me to do your job for you with no guarantee that it would make any difference. ' I had now been on the phone for over an hour.  'What has happened to Amazon?' I asked, 'I ordered something for my son at the beginning of December for Christmas and he has yet to receive it and now you are telling me that a simple order cannot be delivered before October?'  She put me on hold.

When she returned she said that the order would be delivered the 9 January.  After an hour and a half I had lost the will to live.

What happened to freedom of choice, just doing what you want without being asked to join a campaign.  I blame social media.  I don't want to be a vegan nor do I want to join the campaign just launched by a group of young women against shaving under your arms and your legs.  I remember when French women never shaved under their arms and it was not a pretty sight, but it was their choice, we don't need to campaign for or against it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Temper, Temper

I played tennis with Yvette today.  Yesterday I asked if we could play early before the day gets too hot.  She suggested 9.30am.  I was thinking of 8.00am but Yvette has been married 46 years and her husband still brings her breakfast in bed every morning so 9.30 is probably the crack of dawn. I thought I had got used to Yvette's little antics but this morning she behaved like John McEnroe.  I was 4-1 up in the first set when suddenly she announced that the score was 4-3.  I am used to these little tricks so I stood my ground.  She argued, she shouted.  I ignored her and took my position ready to receive serve but her shouting got louder, calling me a cheat and then using some choice words.  Her ploy worked.  I lost concentration and started to lose, eventually losing in a tie break.  I was not happy but said nothing. At the end of the set Yvette asked me if I was angry with her, using the expression 'tu me fais la tete?'  I sa...

What is normal?

The UK seems to be operating on the basis that there is no virus.  Masks are rarely seen, little is being reported in the papers,  it is not the main topic of conversation in the street and social distancing doesn't exist.  I did see a testing table set up in Chesham high street but it was for one day only and they didn't seem to be doing much business. I went to Brighton on Sunday with my son and sister.  The old 'Lanes' have been reduced to a few jewellery shops and lots of cafes and the town was packed.  Openly gay people walk hand in hand through the streets in great numbers while others stroll around in gold lurex dresses. As we were heading back to the station the police arrived and blocked the road for an approaching cycle rally.   Living in France I have seen many cycle races go past but not quite like this one.  Here were 200 totally naked cyclists pedalling by while people cheered them on enthusiastically.  Some of them had put on s...

No-one here when I need them

My visitors have departed and I am once again packing my bags and heading off.  But wait a minute, my son would like me to bring a bookcase with me, solid wood and heavy.  Will it even go in the car and if I do manage to carry it out to the car and lift it single handedly into the car will there be room for my suitcase?  It is a work in progress.  I managed to get it to the car, a neighbour waved bonjour,  and drove off in his car.  Did he not notice me struggling with a bookcase 4ft by 3ft?  I always meant to be one of those helpless women whom everyone rushes to help but somehow I never quite made it and frankly it is usually easier to just 'do it yourself'. A wild boar strolled past the house this morning, perhaps he could give me a hand.