Skip to main content

Not just the Duke

The Duke of Edinburgh didn't get enough flack for driving without a seat belt in my opinion.  Despite the proof that seat belts save lives, it is the law and no-one is above the law.  Has he forgotten that Princess Diana was not wearing a seat belt when she was killed in Paris.  Even more disturbing is that when I looked out of my window the other day my neighbour's daughter and her husband were driving off without either wearing a seat belt and on her lap in the front passenger seat she had her 12 month old baby sitting on her lap.

I went to a meeting the other day held by the British Embassy to inform us of the latest negotiations with France.  There were hundreds of British people there and I didn't recognise one of them.  Where do they all live?  Why do I never come across any of them?  Anyway the chap from the Embassy did quite well, answering questions with a low key sense of humour but the Prefect didn't fare so well as he bore the brunt of the complaints about problems getting a resident's permit.  One woman said she had been told that her health cover would be withdrawn on the 29 March and another had been refused a resident's permit on the grounds that her income was too low.   She had been told to get out of France, as have others, which rather belies the speech that the French Prime Minister gave in which he stated that all British people will be welcome to remain here and will be treated with respect.  Maybe the word 'respect' gets lost in the translation.

The protests continue with the yellow vests competing against the red scarves, or maybe they are all on the same side.   In view of the British passports changing colour after Brexit perhaps I should start a third wave of protests - blue trousers?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Temper, Temper

I played tennis with Yvette today.  Yesterday I asked if we could play early before the day gets too hot.  She suggested 9.30am.  I was thinking of 8.00am but Yvette has been married 46 years and her husband still brings her breakfast in bed every morning so 9.30 is probably the crack of dawn. I thought I had got used to Yvette's little antics but this morning she behaved like John McEnroe.  I was 4-1 up in the first set when suddenly she announced that the score was 4-3.  I am used to these little tricks so I stood my ground.  She argued, she shouted.  I ignored her and took my position ready to receive serve but her shouting got louder, calling me a cheat and then using some choice words.  Her ploy worked.  I lost concentration and started to lose, eventually losing in a tie break.  I was not happy but said nothing. At the end of the set Yvette asked me if I was angry with her, using the expression 'tu me fais la tete?'  I sa...

What is normal?

The UK seems to be operating on the basis that there is no virus.  Masks are rarely seen, little is being reported in the papers,  it is not the main topic of conversation in the street and social distancing doesn't exist.  I did see a testing table set up in Chesham high street but it was for one day only and they didn't seem to be doing much business. I went to Brighton on Sunday with my son and sister.  The old 'Lanes' have been reduced to a few jewellery shops and lots of cafes and the town was packed.  Openly gay people walk hand in hand through the streets in great numbers while others stroll around in gold lurex dresses. As we were heading back to the station the police arrived and blocked the road for an approaching cycle rally.   Living in France I have seen many cycle races go past but not quite like this one.  Here were 200 totally naked cyclists pedalling by while people cheered them on enthusiastically.  Some of them had put on s...

No-one here when I need them

My visitors have departed and I am once again packing my bags and heading off.  But wait a minute, my son would like me to bring a bookcase with me, solid wood and heavy.  Will it even go in the car and if I do manage to carry it out to the car and lift it single handedly into the car will there be room for my suitcase?  It is a work in progress.  I managed to get it to the car, a neighbour waved bonjour,  and drove off in his car.  Did he not notice me struggling with a bookcase 4ft by 3ft?  I always meant to be one of those helpless women whom everyone rushes to help but somehow I never quite made it and frankly it is usually easier to just 'do it yourself'. A wild boar strolled past the house this morning, perhaps he could give me a hand.