Skip to main content

I hate my car

I hate my car.  I have hated it since I bought it and  found  out how uncomfortable it is, especially on long journeys.  It is covered in dents and scratches caused by drivers who use my car as a battering ram and just drive off, usually in supermarket car parks.  Do they not teach the French how to park or about etiquette of leaving a note?  The latter is probably a memory from another age.  I have had a problem with moisture, lots of moisture, inside the car  so that when the temperature is below freezing ice forms on the inside of the windows.  I used to be able to fix a car in days gone by when  one lifted the hood and saw an engine.  Now it is all encased so that the mysteries of what is going on is confined to the garage mechanics who charge a fortune and frankly could tell me anything as I never get to see what they see.

However I am not totally ignorant about cars so when I see water inside my car I suspect it is the air conditioning or the ducts are blocked with leaves etc.  I was talking to a Scotsman who boringly goes on about laying patios and fitting his own kitchen so I asked, 'Do you know anything about cars?' He looked under the hood, shook his head and said 'Aye lassie, (Really? Am I a lassie?) you have a problem there.'  In other words he didn't have a clue.

I drove home and got the  vacuum cleaner out and cleaned the ducts then I got the hair  dryer on to it and voila moisture gone, car running smoothly.  I still hate it though.

The gilets jaunes are still protesting, Brexit has sunk further into the mire, the US government remains shut down, so the bright star is that Trump could be charged with treason and locked up for 50 years.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Temper, Temper

I played tennis with Yvette today.  Yesterday I asked if we could play early before the day gets too hot.  She suggested 9.30am.  I was thinking of 8.00am but Yvette has been married 46 years and her husband still brings her breakfast in bed every morning so 9.30 is probably the crack of dawn. I thought I had got used to Yvette's little antics but this morning she behaved like John McEnroe.  I was 4-1 up in the first set when suddenly she announced that the score was 4-3.  I am used to these little tricks so I stood my ground.  She argued, she shouted.  I ignored her and took my position ready to receive serve but her shouting got louder, calling me a cheat and then using some choice words.  Her ploy worked.  I lost concentration and started to lose, eventually losing in a tie break.  I was not happy but said nothing. At the end of the set Yvette asked me if I was angry with her, using the expression 'tu me fais la tete?'  I sa...

What is normal?

The UK seems to be operating on the basis that there is no virus.  Masks are rarely seen, little is being reported in the papers,  it is not the main topic of conversation in the street and social distancing doesn't exist.  I did see a testing table set up in Chesham high street but it was for one day only and they didn't seem to be doing much business. I went to Brighton on Sunday with my son and sister.  The old 'Lanes' have been reduced to a few jewellery shops and lots of cafes and the town was packed.  Openly gay people walk hand in hand through the streets in great numbers while others stroll around in gold lurex dresses. As we were heading back to the station the police arrived and blocked the road for an approaching cycle rally.   Living in France I have seen many cycle races go past but not quite like this one.  Here were 200 totally naked cyclists pedalling by while people cheered them on enthusiastically.  Some of them had put on s...

The problem with language teaching

I volunteered in a French school yesterday.  The aim of the day was to engage French children in English conversation.  The children had questions written down which they had to ask in English.  They were aged between 12 and 16.  Faced with 2 pupils aged 15 I answered the first question clearly and simply but they didn't understand the answer.  A rapid conversation in French passed between them and they then asked me in French if I would write down the answer. 'If I write down the answer you won't learn anything,' I said in French.  They asked the teacher what to do. 'Of course you can write down the answers for them and they can study them  later'! Listening skills?  Speaking skills?  I give up