Skip to main content

It's all foreign to me

I am baby sitting in the UK this week so no time for the wicked.  How many people are familiar with that phrase?  I went to post my daughter-in-law's voting slip trailing a 3 year old with me of course.   I  stopped a woman with 2 young children and asked where the nearest pillar box was. She looked at my grandson and then at me with an alarmed look on her face and said, "lost, how is he lost?" 'He' waved the voting slip cheerfully while I said 'no he isn't lost, I'm looking for a pillar box.'  The woman stared at me madly, grabbed the children and rushed off.

I went into a newsagent's and asked where the nearest pillar box was. 'In the church, that's where they always put them.'  'In the church? 'I queried, not quite believing what I was hearing.  'Yes love, but you have the wrong day,  next week is polling day.'  I left the shop and wandered down the street.  I asked a man who was washing his car.  At his puzzled look I felt like saying I am speaking English honestly.  Perhap the UK has become like Romania and Bulgaria where there are  no means of posting a letter.  Finally in the town I found one but that evening I related my problems to my son.   'You left the UK in 1970.  That was probably the last time the words pillar box were used' 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No-one here when I need them

My visitors have departed and I am once again packing my bags and heading off.  But wait a minute, my son would like me to bring a bookcase with me, solid wood and heavy.  Will it even go in the car and if I do manage to carry it out to the car and lift it single handedly into the car will there be room for my suitcase?  It is a work in progress.  I managed to get it to the car, a neighbour waved bonjour,  and drove off in his car.  Did he not notice me struggling with a bookcase 4ft by 3ft?  I always meant to be one of those helpless women whom everyone rushes to help but somehow I never quite made it and frankly it is usually easier to just 'do it yourself'. A wild boar strolled past the house this morning, perhaps he could give me a hand.

Temper, Temper

I played tennis with Yvette today.  Yesterday I asked if we could play early before the day gets too hot.  She suggested 9.30am.  I was thinking of 8.00am but Yvette has been married 46 years and her husband still brings her breakfast in bed every morning so 9.30 is probably the crack of dawn. I thought I had got used to Yvette's little antics but this morning she behaved like John McEnroe.  I was 4-1 up in the first set when suddenly she announced that the score was 4-3.  I am used to these little tricks so I stood my ground.  She argued, she shouted.  I ignored her and took my position ready to receive serve but her shouting got louder, calling me a cheat and then using some choice words.  Her ploy worked.  I lost concentration and started to lose, eventually losing in a tie break.  I was not happy but said nothing. At the end of the set Yvette asked me if I was angry with her, using the expression 'tu me fais la tete?'  I sa...

Equality

 I don't want to hear another person  say that women should be equal to men.  There is no 'should' about it, women ARE equal to men but they are not treated equally.  It has never occurred to me that I am  not equal to any man.  Am I treated equally?  Sometimes yes, sometimes no.  It requires a step change in the way women think of themselves as being equal before we can hope for attitudes, legislation, economics to  follow and that is my rant for the day. Ever since I have lived in France I have noticed a stark difference between the French and the British sense of humour.  The dry, irreverent humour of the British is completely wasted on the French, and the Dutch and the Americans sometimes for that matter.  Clearly the British humour is unique.  Yesterday I gave an article to a French friend to read.  It was a humorous piece, self deprecating about a woman suffering an attack by an insect on her face with hideous result...