Skip to main content

Light relief or so I thought

After the depressing week I have had I decided to go to Saumur to drink coffee with a group of friends.  There was no-one there when I arrived, which is unusual, but after about 15 minutes Catarina, an Italian, came bustling in.  'Something terrible has happened, Peter took a fall and was rushed to the hospital.  He came back yesterday and last night he fell again', she said breathlessly while ordering a coffee in Italian.  The waitress shrugged.  You get all sorts in here, I could see her thinking.  One after another other members of the group arrived and Catarina, now in full flow imparted her grave news to one and all, muddling her languages, talking English to the French, French to the Americans and Italian to anybody at the surrounding tables, in  the hope perhaps that the odd Italian  may have strayed in from the street.  I have never seen so many puzzled faces in my life and although I was concerned for our friend Peter, I couldn't keep the smile of my face.

The waitress served coffee to everyone, whether they wanted it or not, and the description of Peter's fall grew into something Trump does when he is talking about the thousands, millions even, of people pouring into the States from Mexico all intent on murdering and pillaging and selling drugs to the unsuspecting Americans.

Then Peter's son walked in and said Peter was at home watching television and feeling much better.   He repeated it in French and Caterina translated it into Italian for the benefit of the bewildered people at the next table.  Why would anyone want to leave the European Union when they have all this, I thought as I battled my way against the icy wind to cross the bridge.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No-one here when I need them

My visitors have departed and I am once again packing my bags and heading off.  But wait a minute, my son would like me to bring a bookcase with me, solid wood and heavy.  Will it even go in the car and if I do manage to carry it out to the car and lift it single handedly into the car will there be room for my suitcase?  It is a work in progress.  I managed to get it to the car, a neighbour waved bonjour,  and drove off in his car.  Did he not notice me struggling with a bookcase 4ft by 3ft?  I always meant to be one of those helpless women whom everyone rushes to help but somehow I never quite made it and frankly it is usually easier to just 'do it yourself'. A wild boar strolled past the house this morning, perhaps he could give me a hand.

Temper, Temper

I played tennis with Yvette today.  Yesterday I asked if we could play early before the day gets too hot.  She suggested 9.30am.  I was thinking of 8.00am but Yvette has been married 46 years and her husband still brings her breakfast in bed every morning so 9.30 is probably the crack of dawn. I thought I had got used to Yvette's little antics but this morning she behaved like John McEnroe.  I was 4-1 up in the first set when suddenly she announced that the score was 4-3.  I am used to these little tricks so I stood my ground.  She argued, she shouted.  I ignored her and took my position ready to receive serve but her shouting got louder, calling me a cheat and then using some choice words.  Her ploy worked.  I lost concentration and started to lose, eventually losing in a tie break.  I was not happy but said nothing. At the end of the set Yvette asked me if I was angry with her, using the expression 'tu me fais la tete?'  I sa...

Equality

 I don't want to hear another person  say that women should be equal to men.  There is no 'should' about it, women ARE equal to men but they are not treated equally.  It has never occurred to me that I am  not equal to any man.  Am I treated equally?  Sometimes yes, sometimes no.  It requires a step change in the way women think of themselves as being equal before we can hope for attitudes, legislation, economics to  follow and that is my rant for the day. Ever since I have lived in France I have noticed a stark difference between the French and the British sense of humour.  The dry, irreverent humour of the British is completely wasted on the French, and the Dutch and the Americans sometimes for that matter.  Clearly the British humour is unique.  Yesterday I gave an article to a French friend to read.  It was a humorous piece, self deprecating about a woman suffering an attack by an insect on her face with hideous result...