Skip to main content

Busy, busy, busy

 This is the week all my  sons are gathered in the same place.  There is something special about that, especially after the enforced separation caused by the pandemic.  Since my visit to the UK at Christmas, one son has acquired 2 cats, not yet fully grown, and they have led us on a merry dance with their antics.  I am not a cat lover, more of a cat tolerater so it was somewhat disturbing to be woken up during my first night here by cats walking across my head.  I tried turfing them out but as I sleep in the attic and there is no door, I gave up  and waited for them to stop leaping about, an event that was never going to happen.  The second night my  son blocked the stairs to the attic with a screen,  to no avail.  I caught them up on the roof having escaped through the Velux window.  Now I  know  where the term 'cat burglar' comes from.  

Yesterday I took  my grandson for a walk and stopped in a pub for a glass of lemonade.  He suddenly said that he had something to tell me.  He is six.  'From 2021 to 2022 a girl at school called Rosie has been asking me to marry her.'  'What did you say?' I asked.  'I said yes,'  he replied.  The pub was fairly busy but quiet so his voice carried quite well.  He paused then said, 'so now I am going to  be a father.'  The customers burst out laughing and as we left one called out 'good luck with wedding.'

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No-one here when I need them

My visitors have departed and I am once again packing my bags and heading off.  But wait a minute, my son would like me to bring a bookcase with me, solid wood and heavy.  Will it even go in the car and if I do manage to carry it out to the car and lift it single handedly into the car will there be room for my suitcase?  It is a work in progress.  I managed to get it to the car, a neighbour waved bonjour,  and drove off in his car.  Did he not notice me struggling with a bookcase 4ft by 3ft?  I always meant to be one of those helpless women whom everyone rushes to help but somehow I never quite made it and frankly it is usually easier to just 'do it yourself'. A wild boar strolled past the house this morning, perhaps he could give me a hand.

Temper, Temper

I played tennis with Yvette today.  Yesterday I asked if we could play early before the day gets too hot.  She suggested 9.30am.  I was thinking of 8.00am but Yvette has been married 46 years and her husband still brings her breakfast in bed every morning so 9.30 is probably the crack of dawn. I thought I had got used to Yvette's little antics but this morning she behaved like John McEnroe.  I was 4-1 up in the first set when suddenly she announced that the score was 4-3.  I am used to these little tricks so I stood my ground.  She argued, she shouted.  I ignored her and took my position ready to receive serve but her shouting got louder, calling me a cheat and then using some choice words.  Her ploy worked.  I lost concentration and started to lose, eventually losing in a tie break.  I was not happy but said nothing. At the end of the set Yvette asked me if I was angry with her, using the expression 'tu me fais la tete?'  I sa...

Equality

 I don't want to hear another person  say that women should be equal to men.  There is no 'should' about it, women ARE equal to men but they are not treated equally.  It has never occurred to me that I am  not equal to any man.  Am I treated equally?  Sometimes yes, sometimes no.  It requires a step change in the way women think of themselves as being equal before we can hope for attitudes, legislation, economics to  follow and that is my rant for the day. Ever since I have lived in France I have noticed a stark difference between the French and the British sense of humour.  The dry, irreverent humour of the British is completely wasted on the French, and the Dutch and the Americans sometimes for that matter.  Clearly the British humour is unique.  Yesterday I gave an article to a French friend to read.  It was a humorous piece, self deprecating about a woman suffering an attack by an insect on her face with hideous result...