Skip to main content

It was all going so well

 I took my 5 year old grandson to Wendover Woods with the aim of walking through the woods, playing hide and seek and cowboys.  When we arrived he noticed the zip line, which is part of Go Ape (acrobranching in France).  I have done Go Ape numerous times with other grandchildren and children but this was a special one for younger children.  I explained that you can't just do the zip line, you have to go right round the course in order to get to the zip line.  'Let's do it then,' he said.  I wanted to make sure he was up for it so I explained that we would be going up high and at times it would be scary.  This did not deter him, so we signed up, were fitted out with harnesses and given instructions'.  All went well until we reached one particular crossing and suddenly he refused to move.  'I've changed my mind,' he said, 'let's go back.'  It doesn't work like that, there is no going back, and as other children waited patiently behind us, an instructor below started to encourage him to step onto the first rung.  I spotted a little girl, 4 years old, going across what looked like a much more difficult crossing and pointed her out to him.  Down below 2 men joined in the  encouragement.  'What's his name?' they shouted.  Eventually, after what seemed a life time, my grandson put his foot on the first wire and said, 'Oh it's not difficult, or scary.'   I felt like reminding him that it is me who is scared of heights, but still I keep going up things.

I made him his breakfast this morning and was trying to get him to eat faster.  I don't stand for much nonsense and eventually we were approaching the last two mouthfuls.  I was muttering to myself the things I had to buy in the supermarket when he said 'you are not going to make me  eat olive oil, Ryvita and an adaptor now are you?'

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Equality

 I don't want to hear another person  say that women should be equal to men.  There is no 'should' about it, women ARE equal to men but they are not treated equally.  It has never occurred to me that I am  not equal to any man.  Am I treated equally?  Sometimes yes, sometimes no.  It requires a step change in the way women think of themselves as being equal before we can hope for attitudes, legislation, economics to  follow and that is my rant for the day. Ever since I have lived in France I have noticed a stark difference between the French and the British sense of humour.  The dry, irreverent humour of the British is completely wasted on the French, and the Dutch and the Americans sometimes for that matter.  Clearly the British humour is unique.  Yesterday I gave an article to a French friend to read.  It was a humorous piece, self deprecating about a woman suffering an attack by an insect on her face with hideous result...

Mondays

 Last Monday my son and daughter in law were due to catch the 8.15am ferry from Portsmouth to Caen.  It was 6.45am when I stepped out of the shower and heard my phone  going.  I snatched it up.  It was a video  call.  'Mum, we have big problems here,'  and before I could speak he thrust the phone into the hands of a Brittany ferries' staff member and said, 'Talk  to my mum.'  Barely conscious of my wet, tangled hair and trying to cover myself up with a  towel which thought gravity was fun, I asked what the problem was.  Apparently they had the wrong vaccination certificates and were being refused passage.  I asked what I could do and she said they could go and get a test and take a later ferry.  'Where is the nearest test centre in Portsmouth?'  I asked.  'There isn't one,' she replied, 'there  is one in Southampton, or Havant.'  What!  No test centre in Portsmouth?  They both have learni...

Playing by ear

My father could play the piano.  Not an unusual skill but he was deaf.  He lost his  hearing fighting in the army in India in the 30s so he was an adult when he lost it and therefore remembered tunes, even though he couldn't hear him.  However he didn't have the skill to learn anything new so  either you liked the old music or you didn't.  He used to say that he played by ear and then would roar with laughter.  He would have struggled in many ways with modern living but most of all during the pandemic, he would have lost his ability to communicate as he always lip read.  There must be thousands of people like him today who still rely on reading lips to understand,  in fact all of us do it to some extent, so please be patient if someone is struggling to communicate while you are wearing a mask. I went to the supermarket today and at the check out, the cashier asked me to move the trolley into a particular position.  As I manoeuvred it ...