Skip to main content

We really are different

I drove to the ferry a couple of weeks ago and stopped in a service station, not one with petrol and shop, just toilets and picnic tables.  As I stood munching on my ryvita and cheese, followed by an apple, I watched the French unload their lunch.  Out came tablecloths, real cutlery, china plates and serviettes, bowls of fresh salad, cheese, ham and the proverbial bread and wine.  Yes they know how to travel in style.  I read a book once about the British and French armies in North Africa.  The British sat down any old place with a tin filled with corned beef while the French army set up tables, cutlery and all the trimmings and even candelabra.  Well at least they seem to have ditched the candelabra.

My son, my sister and I went to Spain for a few days.  It was challenging.  My sister is terrified of everything that involves travel and technology, even putting a train ticket in the barrier to get in and out of a station defeated her.  She has no sense of direction and managed to get lost in the hotel several times.  Thank goodness my son who has learning difficulties was there to help me keep track of her.  Shouldn't it be the other way round?

Meanwhile the Brits in the hotel were stretched out by the pool sunbathing by the time we finished breakfast and they were still there when  we returned each day in the late afternoon.  They were like beached whales, turning red and brown , seemingly oblivious to the skin cancer warnings and how boring.  The majority weren't even reading a book or looking at the inevitable phone.  By 5.30pm they had filled the bar at Happy Hour.

While the Brits were sunbathing the Dutch were off touring, always as a group.  They swept in for breakfast en masse, gathered in the car park en masse and disappeared for the day, reappearing for dinner, again en masse.   On the last day of our visit, a lady appeared for breakfast in high heeled shoes, a body hugging dress, pearls, a huge hat and black gloves, which she kept on while her husband?  lover?  waited on her.  We observed from the next table and watched as she tried to shell a hard boiled egg.  Finally defeated she took the gloves off to perform this task and elegantly put them on afterwards.  The hat never left her head.

Back in the UK I decided to go to the little cinema to watch Dowton Abbey.  I was sitting in my seat, minding my own business, waiting for the film to start when I was aware of two women standing next to me staring.  One woman raised her stick and prodded me in the thigh.  'She is in my seat,' she said to her companion and prodded me again.  'I am not in your seat', I replied,  'and stop prodding me.'  She raised her stick again and I quickly said, 'if you prod me again I  shall call the management.'  At this the other woman said she would go back to the ticket desk and check.  Meanwhile the other one stood guard with her stick at the ready.  Finally the woman came back and muttered that their seats were further down and went off to find them.  No apology to me of course.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No-one here when I need them

My visitors have departed and I am once again packing my bags and heading off.  But wait a minute, my son would like me to bring a bookcase with me, solid wood and heavy.  Will it even go in the car and if I do manage to carry it out to the car and lift it single handedly into the car will there be room for my suitcase?  It is a work in progress.  I managed to get it to the car, a neighbour waved bonjour,  and drove off in his car.  Did he not notice me struggling with a bookcase 4ft by 3ft?  I always meant to be one of those helpless women whom everyone rushes to help but somehow I never quite made it and frankly it is usually easier to just 'do it yourself'. A wild boar strolled past the house this morning, perhaps he could give me a hand.

Equality

 I don't want to hear another person  say that women should be equal to men.  There is no 'should' about it, women ARE equal to men but they are not treated equally.  It has never occurred to me that I am  not equal to any man.  Am I treated equally?  Sometimes yes, sometimes no.  It requires a step change in the way women think of themselves as being equal before we can hope for attitudes, legislation, economics to  follow and that is my rant for the day. Ever since I have lived in France I have noticed a stark difference between the French and the British sense of humour.  The dry, irreverent humour of the British is completely wasted on the French, and the Dutch and the Americans sometimes for that matter.  Clearly the British humour is unique.  Yesterday I gave an article to a French friend to read.  It was a humorous piece, self deprecating about a woman suffering an attack by an insect on her face with hideous result...

Mondays

 Last Monday my son and daughter in law were due to catch the 8.15am ferry from Portsmouth to Caen.  It was 6.45am when I stepped out of the shower and heard my phone  going.  I snatched it up.  It was a video  call.  'Mum, we have big problems here,'  and before I could speak he thrust the phone into the hands of a Brittany ferries' staff member and said, 'Talk  to my mum.'  Barely conscious of my wet, tangled hair and trying to cover myself up with a  towel which thought gravity was fun, I asked what the problem was.  Apparently they had the wrong vaccination certificates and were being refused passage.  I asked what I could do and she said they could go and get a test and take a later ferry.  'Where is the nearest test centre in Portsmouth?'  I asked.  'There isn't one,' she replied, 'there  is one in Southampton, or Havant.'  What!  No test centre in Portsmouth?  They both have learni...